Technology & Internet is a gateway to a new life.


The internet is amazing, I am incredibly grateful to live in the age of internet because it offers so many oppurtunities to disabled folks. There are so many things that would not be possible in my life without it.
With the internet I am able to hang out with my friends and family through video chat when my body will not permit me outdoors, I am able to join in on live support groups and speak in real time with others who share the same struggles.
With the internet I am able to make myself visible through social media while I live a life that keeps me largely invisible. I am able to claim my space in the world and shout, "I am here!"
  I am somewhat spared from a life destined to be devoid of human interaction because the internet enables me to make and meet friends and romantic partners who live nearby without leaving my home. I am able to create memories of kissing and flirting. I am able to create memories of smoking hookah and drinking cooler drinks with other young adults in the comfort of my home. The internet even gives me the opportunity to meet other sick people in the flesh.
It empowers me to get that cute shirt I've been aching for and it allows me to quench random cravings for boba drinks all without straining this body that struggles day in and day out to function, all without asking someone else to get it for me.
The internet has allowed me to earn some pocket money and take certification classes. Others with different abilities have been able to benefit from full and part time employment at home and reap the rewards of a full and whole education.

Comments